Thursday, August 02, 2007

That's Professor K to you!!

I got a call last week from the Dean of Communication at the local community college about an adjunct teaching position. She was asking me if I was still interested. I asked her which classes were available and she told me a MWF class from 10-11 or a Saturday class from 11-2:50. I told her I would need to talk to my boss and see what she thought.

It helps that I already work in higher ed and my boss and I are good friends and she knew that I had been looking into this. So I called the chair back and told her I was interested in the Saturday class. She told me to come in on Tuesday to talk and sign some papers.

I go in on Tuesday and I am completing at W-2 and some other paperwork about being parttime. I didn't even have to interview!! She then starts printing out a copy of the syllabi for me to look over and gives me a tour and the textbooks and basically says you have free reign, here you go!!

What!?! Now these students college learning is in the palm of my hands, so scary!

That is the long and short of it! The funny thing is, as I was about to leave she asked me if I was interested in teaching more than one class. I told her I would just like to start with one. She doesn't even know my skills!! I am hoping I like this and can transition to becoming a full-time professor!!

0 comments: